Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Homemade Stuffed-Crust Pizza


Hello foodies! It's been a while since my last post because I've been super busy with my recent graduation and a trip to Singapore this week! I'll be there for three weeks and I promise to report back with a lot of saliva-inducing photos of all the delicious Asian fusion food I am soo ready to eat!! Until then, I will leave you with this American twist on an Italian classic - stuffed crust pizza.

This isn't my first foray into the pizza-making arena. I've been making my own pizza using all sorts of ingredients and toppings, with the foundation of my favorite Trader Joe's pre-made dough. But a few weeks ago my friend suggested creating a pizza creation with a stuffed crust - what a genius idea!! Here's a fairly simply set of directions on how to do it, but if you'd like to stick to a traditional style pizza just skip the stuffing and pile on your own mix of toppings!

Here's What You'll Need:

Pre-made Pizza dough (16 oz - I used Trader Joe's!) You can also make your own if you're ambitious.
Flour (for rolling the pizza dough onto)
8 oz Mozzarella Cheese - add or subtract to preference
1/8 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup Pasta or Pizza sauce
Toppings - Whatever you want! I used:
        Andouille sausage
        Pepperoni
        Green Peppers
        Garlic
String Cheese for the stuffed crust - I used Colby Jack

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Prepare the dough according to package directions. Sprinkle flour on your working surface. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a circular pizza pie. For the stuffed crust you will want to roll your dough as evenly as you can so that the pie will support the heavy crust.

Lightly grease the baking sheet/pizza stone you will bake your pizza on and lay the crust onto it. This will make it easier than piling your unbaked pizza high and then having to transport it to the baking sheet.
Here is the part where pictures come in really handy. Take the cheese sticks and line them up around the circumference on your pizza pie. Take the outside edge of the dough and pull it over the cheese stick, closing the seal with a fork and pressing with your fingers.


Do this until you have gone around the whole pizza.
Next, you can finally top up your pizza with sauce, cheese, and all your toppings!
Bake it for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted, sauce is bubbly and crust is browned.

Viola!!! You now have delizioso pizza!! My roommate said she was having a love affair with this pizza, that's how good it was. Try it for yourself and enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. OMG! Ki, your blog is awesome! I'm so impressed. I'm proud of you daughter. Have a great trip. Dad

    ReplyDelete