Friday, March 9, 2012

Sweet Potato Hash with Sausage and Baked Eggs


As much as I love baking, I really love Brunch! Any excuse to eat breakfast in the middle of the day gets my vote. Another thing I love is sweet potatoes. They're nutritious, delicious, and packed with antioxidants -- you can't go wrong! I found this recipe through Pinterest on  The Kitchn blog and it is amazing. I didn't make it in two nights because I usually dont know what I want to cook until I'm starving in my kitchen, so my recipe is a little different. I even converted my roommate, a sweet potato hater, into a sweet potato craver!


Here's what you'll need:



about 2 large onions
1 tablespoon unsalted butter 
1 pound fresh Italian sausage or chorizo (I used spicy italian sausage)
3 pounds sweet potatoes (I used Trader Joe's organic brand)
6 large garlic cloves
1/4 rosemary or basil leaves
3 tablespoons olive oil
1-3 tablespoon kosher salt, according to taste
black pepper
3 large eggs (or one for each person you will serve)
*make sure eggs are refrigerated. This ensures that they keep their shape and spread minimally when you bake them.
Parmesan cheese to sprinkle


Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Chop up sweet potatoes (peeled or unpeeled) into small cubes. Of course, sweet potatoes are not square and you are not going to get perfect cubes, just cut them into pieces about 1/2 inch wide. Put your sweet potatoes in a large bowl.
Mince the garlic and rosemary/basil, and toss into the bowl with the sweet potatoes. Toss with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
Pour the sweet potato mixture onto a large baking pan and bake for about 25 minutes.

Meanwhile peel and slice both onions into thin half moons. Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. When butter is melted pour in onions, occasionally stirring until reduced and very brown.
While the onions are browning, cut up sausage and cook in a heated skillet, chopping into smaller pieces with a spatula if possible. Cook until crispy, about 10 minutes. 
When your sausages and onions are all ready, toss them into the large bowl. When the sweet potatoes have been baking for 25 minutes, take those bad boys out, return them to the large bowl with the onions and sausage and stir it all up! 
Pour the entire mixture onto the large baking sheet and make sure to create spaces in the hash where the eggs will be.
Crack cold eggs into the spaces you have created.
Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are browned and eggs are baked through. The you can check eggs with a fork for doneness. 


This recipe takes a while to prepare, but I assure you it is worth the wait!! If it helps, feel free to sip a brunch beverage of your choice while you bake (Mimosas, anyone?)!


Enjoy!!


-Ki

No comments:

Post a Comment